You’ve probably seen the plethora of leggings out today and wondered: which one is the best legging – you need the ultimate leggings comparison! We provide you many lululemon alternatives but also compare lululemon vs. SPANX vs. Aerie vs. Everlane and more! Is the legging that started it all: lululemon still the best legging money can buy?
Leggings Comparison: Why are we even doing it?
I have a strict uniform that includes wearing leggings almost every day. Any other pants go against a very important rule of mine: only comfortable pants only. If you also follow this uniform, or just like a good pair of leggings for the occasions where you do wear leggings, please keep reading to see my favorites!
Leggings Comparison: Meet the Contenders
Here’s what we decided to test Everlane vs. Lululemon. Lululemon vs. Spanx. Everlane vs. Spanx and a lot more!
Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings by SPANX
Available on SPANX Website
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings
- These are the best fitting leggings I have ever had! They do not roll down and they are incredibly flattering with the seamless design.
- The material has some compression but is still very stretchy and comfortable.
- The price! You can usually grab a pair of these on sale – I paid $54.40 for mine.
- Nordstrom sells them and their customer service is the best!
- I think you can “dress” up these leggings and they do not look like you are going to the gym at all.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings
- The fabric is a little thicker and they might not be the best for all workouts. I would not wear these to hot yoga. For pilates, these are just fine!
Best for: Dressing up your leggings look and pairing these with a sweater or fancier top.
The Perform Legging by Everlane
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Everlane Perform Legging
- The price!
- The sustainable business practices Everlane uses. These are made from 58% recycled nylon.
- Comfortable and have some compression while still very much feeling like athletic wear.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Everlane Perform Leggings
- The sizing is a little small. I ordered an XS to start and they were completely see through. The size small does not have that problem for me.
- The waistband rolls down. This is a huge pet peeve of mine!
Everlane Perform Leggins are best for: I think these are going to be best for working out. I think they would make great running leggings based on the material and since they roll down they wouldn’t be great for weights or yoga. I don’t love wearing them to pilates for this reason, but occasionally I do and it’s fine.
I also think these would be most flattering on very skinny legs/bottoms (which I do not have!) since they can be see-through if the material is stretched.
Play Real Me High Waisted ⅞ Legging by Aerie
Available on AE.com
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Play Real Me High Waisted
- The price! These are the cheapest on the list.
- Material – slick, thin, not see-through, does not roll down at all.
- The fit – very comfortable, lightweight and easy to move in.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Play Real Me High Waisted
- No compression for people who like compression.
- Look like athletic leggings, so not really ones you would dress up.
- Some of my friends have said they are too thin and make them cold in the winter (in Colorado), but I personally don’t have that problem.
- Price: Totally depends on the sale they are running, but I got mine for $20.
The Play Real Me High Waisted are best for: I personally like these leggings best for hanging out. They aren’t my favorite to work out in because they lack the “substance” feel of athletic leggings, but the slick look makes them difficult to dress up. I think they are my favorite leggings if I’m just hanging out at home for the day and want to be comfy.
Align Jogger 28” by Lululemon
Available on Lululemon
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Align Jogger
- Okay, so these are like a hybrid legging/jogger = loggers! It makes them super flattering though and a little different than my collection of black leggings.
- These look fantastic with bodysuits because they are high waisted and cut slim over the bottom and thighs, but loose on the calves.
- Super comfortable! Nulu fabric from Lululemon is made from unicorn tears- it is the best material on the face of the earth.
- They never roll down!
- Pockets- enough said!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Align Jogger
- These don’t look very flattering unless you wear a fitted top, which some people do not like to do with leggings. I love to wear them with a bodysuit and a bomber sweater.
The Lululemon Align Joggers are best for: Looking cute and athletic! I wear them to pilates and I think you could do lots of different workouts in them or just hang out and be super comfortable.
Align Pant II 25” by Lululemon
Available on Lululemon
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Align Pant II Legging
- Everything! Ok, if you don’t own a pair of Align leggings from Lululemon by now, it is time to make the purchase. These are my most favorite leggings on the face of the earth. I am currently wearing a pair as I type this and I have 7 more pairs in my leggings drawer because they are the best.
- So comfortable! The most comfortable for working out and relaxing.
- The Nulu fabric is like nothing else- it is buttery, it is soft, it does not roll down ever ever ever.
- The high waist is very flattering!
- Somehow these leggings always fit me. I have had the same pairs of leggings through two pregnancies where I both gained and lost over 50 lbs and I wore them through the entire pregnancy and after I lost my baby weight. How does that happen??? It’s witchcraft!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Align Pant II
- They have no compression which some people really like in legging.
- The athletic looks cut/seams makes them look silly if you try to dress them up. They are definitely casual leggings.
The Align Pant II Leggins are best for: EVERYTHING! Haha, ok, not good for dressing up but these are my go-to leggings for working out, no matter the workout and for hanging out.
Tech Sweat ¾ length Leggings by Outdoor Voices
Available on Outdoor Voices
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Outdoor Voices Leggings
- Compression fabric and athletic cut. It definitely gives you that going to the gym look.
- Athletic fabric that is great for working out.
- Flattering seams: makes your bottom look lifted even if it isn’t!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Outdoor Voices Leggings
- Not very comfortable to lounge in these leggings.
- These are definitely made for working out. I picture my crossfit friends really digging these for their workouts. I do wear them to pilates, but they are more than I need if that makes sense.
The Outdoor Vocies Leggings are best for: Serious gym goers!
Faux Leather Leggings in Petite by SPANX
Available on SPANX
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the SPANX Faux Leather Leggings in Petite
- These leggings come in both petite and regular so if you are a shortie like me, the petite fits amazing!
- Compression leggings that are very flattering.
- Gives you a dressy look while still being comfortable!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the SPANX Faux Leather Leggings in Petite
- I tried these on at Nordstrom right after I had my daughter and I seriously cried in the dressing room. They are not forgiving. With that said, if you are working hard for that gym bod then I think they are very flattering.
- A few of my friends have had the “leather” rub off in patches on their leggings, but mine still look good!
The SPANX Faux Leather Leggings are best for: Dressing up! These look fantastic with heels or booties and a cute top. I would definitely not work out in these and I don’t think they are comfortable for lounging or hanging out personally.
Legging Roundup: The Final Verdict.
These are all of my favorite leggings, they all have a place in my leggings wardrobe.
The perfect leggings if you want to do a hardcore workout: go for the Outdoor Voices Leggings.
The perfect leggings if you want to hang out at home: grab the Aerie’s leggings.
The perfect leggings if you want to do yoga and run errands I throw on the lululemon align leggings.
The perfect leggings if you want to grab coffee with a friend, the lululemon Align Joggers.
The perfect leggings if you want to look hot on date night, get the faux leather spanx leggings.
The perfect leggings if you are going to preschool drop off: the seamless spanx with a sweater (check our Everlane review for ideas).
The perfect leggings if you want to make the world a better place by purchasing leggings while still looking cute, get the Everlane leggings.
If I could only buy 1 pair of leggings
The best leggings, if I could only buy one pair: I would buy the lululemon align leggings but I also don’t have a ton of occasions to dress up.
I hope this helps you decide if which of leggings are worth adding to your legging wardrobe!