You’ve probably seen the plethora of leggings out today and wondered: which one is the best legging – you need the ultimate leggings comparison! We provide you many lululemon alternatives but also compare lululemon vs. SPANX vs. Aerie vs. Everlane and more!
With so many legging brands on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. What are the best leggings on the market today?
It seems like every other day a new leggings brand pops up on our social media feeds. How are we supposed to know which one is worth trying?
We’ve tried hundreds of leggings brands so that you don’t have to. From lululemon to outdoor voices, we’ve got you covered in our search for the best leggings.
Our expert (Mrs. We Tried It) has tested each and every pair personally, that you can find the perfect pair for your workout, your style, and your budget.
The best Leggings: why you should trust us
I (Mrs. We Tried It) have a strict uniform that includes wearing leggings almost every day. Any other pants go against a very important rule of mine: only comfortable pants only.
If you also follow this uniform, or just like a good pair of leggings for the occasions where you do wear leggings, please keep reading to see my favorites!
Leggings Comparison: Meet the Contenders
Here’s what we decided to test Everlane vs. Lululemon. Lululemon vs. Spanx. Everlane vs. Spanx and a lot more!
Best Compression Leggings: SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings
Available on SPANX Website
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings
- These are the best fitting leggings I have ever had! They do not roll down and they are incredibly flattering with the seamless design.
- The material has some compression but is still very stretchy and comfortable.
- The price! You can usually grab a pair of these on sale – I paid $54.40 for mine.
- Nordstrom sells them and their customer service is the best!
- I think you can “dress” up these leggings and they do not look like you are going to the gym at all.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings
- The fabric is a little thicker and they might not be the best for all workouts. I would not wear these to hot yoga. For pilates, these are just fine!
Best for: Dressing up your leggings look and pairing these with a sweater or fancier top.
The SPANX Look at Me Now Seamless Leggings are an excellent choice for anyone looking to get maximum comfort and style from a pair of leggings. They’re available on the brand’s website, or you can try your luck finding them in store (Nordstrom is one possibility).
The only downside to these is that they might be a bit too thick for really hot workouts. Otherwise, they’re perfect for Pilates or other low-impact exercises. And if you’re looking to dress up your leggings look, these are a great option!
SPNAX vs. Lululemon – which is better?
The main difference between SPANX and lululemon is what they were designed for: Spanx are designed for slimming and shaping, while lululemon is focused on performance in athletic situations, like yoga.
That doesn’t mean you can’t wear SPANX for doing yoga, they just aren’t 100% designed for yoga and activewear. If you want something more focused on slimming, go with SPANX.
As you probably know, SPANX is best known for their shapewear, which is designed to slim the wearer’s silhouette.
Lululemon, on the other hand, is known for their athleisure wear, which is designed to be both comfortable and stylish. So, which one should you choose for yoga? Well, that depends on your priorities. If you’re looking for something that will help you look slimmer, SPANX is the way to go. However, if you’re looking for something that is more focused on comfort and function, lululemon is the way to go.
Most Sustainable Leggings: Everlane Perform Legging
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Everlane Perform Legging
- The price!
- The sustainable business practices Everlane uses. These are made from 58% recycled nylon.
- Comfortable and have some compression while still very much feeling like athletic wear.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Everlane Perform Leggings
- The sizing is a little small. I ordered an XS to start and they were completely see through. The size small does not have that problem for me.
- The waistband rolls down. This is a huge pet peeve of mine!
Everlane Perform Leggings are best for: I think these are going to be best for working out. I think they would make great running leggings based on the material and since they roll down they wouldn’t be great for weights or yoga.
I don’t love wearing them to pilates for this reason, but occasionally I do and it’s fine.
I also think these would be most flattering on very skinny legs/bottoms (which I do not have!) since they can be see-through if the material is stretched.
The Everlane Perform Leggings are a great option for those looking for sustainable and comfortable workout gear. The cons of the leggings include sizing issues and the waistband rolling down, but these problems may not be an issue for everyone.
Overall, the Pros of these leggings outweigh the Cons and they would be best suited for working out.
Everlane Leggings vs. lululemon leggings
The main difference between everlane leggings and lululemon leggings is the price and sustainability. While lululemon align leggings are our #1 choice for leggings, the Everlane Perform Leggings are best for working out, especially running
Everlane’s Perform Leggings are made of a lightweight recycled polyester blend that is sweat-wicking and quick-drying. They have a high-rise waistband that stays put during workouts and a gusseted Crotch for added comfort. Everlane’s leggings are also made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory, which means the workers who made them earned a premium for their labor.
However, the waistband does roll down a bit, so they might not be the best choice for yoga or pilates. Overall, Everlane leggings are a great sustainable and affordable option for activewear.
Best Leggings for Hanging Out: Aerie Play Real Me High Waisted Leggings
Available on AE.com
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Play Real Me High Waisted
- The price! These are the cheapest on the list.
- Material – slick, thin, not see-through, does not roll down at all.
- The fit – very comfortable, lightweight and easy to move in.
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Play Real Me High Waisted
- No compression for people who like compression.
- Look like athletic leggings, so not really ones you would dress up.
- Some of my friends have said they are too thin and make them cold in the winter (in Colorado), but I personally don’t have that problem.
- Price: Totally depends on the sale they are running, but I got mine for $20.
The Play Real Me High Waisted are the best leggings for: I personally like these leggings best for hanging out. They aren’t my favorite to work out in because they lack the “substance” feel of athletic leggings, but the slick look makes them difficult to dress up. I think they are my favorite leggings if I’m just hanging out at home for the day and want to be comfy.
They don’t have a very thick fabric but it is super comfortable.
Best Leggings for Everyday Wear: Lululemon Align Jogger
Available on Lululemon
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Align Jogger
- Okay, so these are like a hybrid legging/jogger = loggers! It makes them super flattering though and a little different than my collection of black leggings.
- These look fantastic with bodysuits because they are high waisted and cut slim over the bottom and thighs, but loose on the calves.
- Super comfortable! Nulu fabric from Lululemon is made from unicorn tears- it is the best material on the face of the earth. It’s buttery soft and perfect.
- They never roll down!
- Pockets- enough said!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Align Jogger
- These don’t look very flattering unless you wear a fitted top, which some people do not like to do with leggings. I love to wear them with a bodysuit and a bomber sweater.
The Lululemon Align Joggers are the best leggings for: Looking cute and athletic! I wear them to pilates and I think you could do lots of different workouts in them or just hang out and be super comfortable.
There are a lot of great things to say about the Lululemon Align Jogger.
Perhaps our favorite thing is how they look and feel on – you will never want to take them off! They also come in several colors, so no matter your style preference, there’s going to be an option for you.
Best Leggings Overall: Lululemon Align Pant II
Available on Lululemon
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Align Pant II Legging
- Everything! Ok, if you don’t own a pair of Align leggings from Lululemon by now, it is time to make the purchase. These are my most favorite leggings on the face of the earth. I am currently wearing a pair as I type this and I have 7 more pairs in my leggings drawer because they are the best.
- So comfortable! The most comfortable for working out and relaxing.
- The Nulu fabric is like nothing else- it is buttery soft, does not roll down ever ever ever.
- The high waist is very flattering!
- Somehow these leggings always fit me. I have had the same pairs of leggings through two pregnancies where I both gained and lost over 50 lbs and I wore them through the entire pregnancy and after I lost my baby weight. How does that happen??? It’s witchcraft!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Align Pant II
- They have no compression which some people really like in legging.
- The athletic looks cut/seams makes them look silly if you try to dress them up. They are definitely casual leggings.
The Align Pant II Leggings are best for: EVERYTHING! Haha, ok, not good for dressing up but these are my go-to leggings for working out, no matter the workout and for hanging out.
The Lululemon Align Joggers and Leggings are some of the most popular items that the company offers. They come in a variety of colors and styles, but they have one thing in common- they are made with Nulu fabric, which is designed to be super comfortable.
We love these pants because they never roll down, fit well, and look great on. Plus, they’re perfect for workouts or just hanging out!
These are my go-to everyday wear leggings – no matter what other leggings I try. They are the most versatile leggings on the list!
Best Leggings for Working Out: Outdoor Voices Tech Sweat Leggings
Available on Outdoor Voices
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the Outdoor Voices Leggings
- Compression fabric and athletic cut. It definitely gives you that going to the gym look – great workout leggings.
- Athletic fabric that is great for working out.
- Flattering seams: makes your bottom look lifted even if it isn’t!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the Outdoor Voices Leggings
- Not very comfortable to lounge in these leggings.
- These are definitely made for working out. I picture my crossfit friends really digging these for their workouts. I do wear them to pilates, but they are more than I need if that makes sense.
The Outdoor Voices Leggings are best for: Serious gym goers!
If you are serious about the gym and don’t care about buttery soft leggings (these are still comfy too) and want to go beyond basic black leggings – these are for you.
Outdoor Voices Leggings vs. Lululemon Leggings
The main difference between Outdoor Voices leggings and Lululemon leggings is what the leggings were made for. Lululemon was made for workouts more like yoga and pilates and Outdoor Voices leggings were designed for workouts like crossfit.
If you’re a serious gym-goer, you know that not all leggings are created equal. Some are too loose, some are too constricting, and some just don’t have the right level of support. If you’re looking for a pair of leggings that can keep up with your Crossfit workouts, Outdoor Voices has the perfect pair for you.
The Outdoor Voices leggings are made with a high-performance fabric that’s designed to withstand any workout, and they also have a comfortable waistband that won’t dig into your skin.
Best Leggings for Date Night: SPANX Faux Leather Leggings
Available on SPANX
👍🏻 Pros – What we love about the SPANX Faux Leather Leggings in Petite
- These leggings come in both petite and regular so if you are a shortie like me, the petite fits amazing!
- Compression leggings that are very flattering.
- Gives you a dressy look while still being comfortable!
👎🏻 Cons – What we don’t love about the SPANX Faux Leather Leggings in Petite
- I tried these on at Nordstrom right after I had my daughter and I seriously cried in the dressing room. They are not forgiving. With that said, if you are working hard for that gym bod then I think they are very flattering.
- A few of my friends have had the “leather” rub off in patches on their leggings, but mine still look good!
The SPANX Faux Leather Leggings are the best leggings for: Dressing up! These look fantastic with heels or booties and a cute top. I would definitely not work out in these and I don’t think they are comfortable for lounging or hanging out personally.
The SPANX Faux Leather Leggings are best for: Dressing up! These look fantastic with heels or booties and a cute top. I would definitely not work out in these and I don’t think they are comfortable for lounging or hanging out personally.
Legging Roundup: The Final Verdict.
These are all of my favorite leggings, they all have a place in my leggings wardrobe.
The best leggings if you want to do a hardcore workout: go for the Outdoor Voices Leggings.
The best leggings if you want to hang out at home: grab the Aerie’s leggings.
The best leggings if you want to do yoga and run errands I throw on the lululemon align leggings.
The best leggings if you want to grab coffee with a friend, the lululemon Align Joggers.
The best leggings if you want to look hot on date night, get the faux leather spanx leggings.
The best leggings if you are going to preschool drop off: the seamless spanx with a sweater (check our Everlane review for ideas).
The perfect leggings if you want to make the world a better place by purchasing leggings while still looking cute, get the Everlane leggings.
If I could only buy 1 pair of leggings…
The best leggings, if I could only buy one pair: I would buy the lululemon align leggings but I also don’t have a ton of occasions to dress up. You can truly use these leggings for everyday wear. They are full length leggings with a flattering fit. No matter what other leggings, I try, I come back to these time and time again.
I hope this helps you decide if which of leggings are worth adding to your legging wardrobe!